Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pineapple-Cherry Dump Cake

The picture doesn't do it justice...but I didn't want to dig into it since it's for a party tonight.


Most of the recipes I post on this blog are made with fresh, non-processed ingredients that taste good and are good for you. This is not one of those recipes.

It is, however, a yummy and incredibly easy-to-make dessert that’s great for family get-togethers, potlucks, or, in my case, a recipe exchange party hosted by my new “Park Mommy” friends.

Last time I attended one of these parties I went all out and made Pacific Pulled Pork Carnitas. (I’ll share that recipe in another blog sometime soon.) It turned out great but—go figure—us gals tend to do more drinking wine and gabbing at these events than actual eating. To save some time and effort, tonight I’m bringing this easy dessert and a bottle of vino.

So, without further ado, here’s the not-necessarily-healthy-but-totally-tasty-recipe for Pineapple-Cherry Dump Cake.  

Pineapple-Cherry Dump Cake
Ingredients:
1 (20-ounce) can of crushed pineapple in natural juices
1 (20-ounce) can of lite cherry pie filling
1 box of yellow cake mix
½ cup butter, thinly sliced (1 stick)
½ cup flaked coconut
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9 baking dish or pan. Spread pineapple with juice evenly into the cake pan. Add cherry pie filling and distribute evenly. Dump dry yellow cake mix evenly over pineapple-cherry mixture. Do not mix. Evenly distribute the thinly sliced pats of butter all over the top of the cake mix. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Remove cake from oven, sprinkle with coconut flakes, and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until coconut is lightly browned.
Results:
Well, the recipe exchange isn’t until tonight so I’ll post feedback in the “comments” section tomorrow. I can tell you though that while this dessert doesn’t have the fanciest, most dignified name; it’s always been a crowd pleaser when I’ve made it for friends and family in the past. Stay tuned!
Until next time,
Ryann



7/13/12 Update:
Success! All the girls who tried it really enjoyed this dessert. The coconut on the top made it nice and crunchy and that ENTIRE stick of butter made it really rich and delicious. I handed out several copies of the recipe and hope this one gets passed along to friends and family alike.



1 comment:

  1. You can dump a serving of that into my bowl any time. Sounds divine!  

    ReplyDelete