Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Roasted Vegetable and Feta Egg Casserole



BFD....Breakfast For Dinner!!! YUM!!!
When it comes to keeping your meal plans fresh, sometimes you need to think outside the box. You can try new preparation methods, toss in a few unexpected ingredients, or totally change it up. Think BFD. No, no, you potty mouths, not Big F!%$^*! Deal…I’m talking about Breakfast For Dinner! (Or brunch if you can’t stomach eggs in the evening.)
I ran across this recipe while I was perusing cooking blogs the other day. It sounded good and I had all the ingredients in the fridge which meant no extra trip to the grocery store. Win-win!
I put my own spin on the seasonings, added red onion and leeks to boost the flavor, and swapped the plain feta cheese for Trader Joe’s Crumbled Feta With Mediterranean Herbs. I also reduced the amount of cheese and the number of eggs and used a few egg whites to cut back on the fat and cholesterol content.
Here’s what I came up with.
Roasted Vegetable and Feta Egg Casserole
Serves 6


Ingredients:
Olive oil spray
1 bell pepper, coarsely chopped (color optional, I used orange)
10-15 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
¼ cup leeks, chopped
½ small onion, coarsely chopped (color optional, I used red)
Freshly ground black pepper
4 whole eggs
1/3 cup egg whites (equivalent of 2 large eggs)
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled (I used a Mediterranean Herb blend)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Liberally spray the sides and bottom of a 2-2.5 quart baking dish with olive oil. Place chopped bell pepper, tomatoes, leeks, and onions in the baking dish. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Spritz lightly with a little more olive oil.


Place vegetables in the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes.


While vegetables are roasting, mix eggs and egg whites in a small bowl.
Post roasting, ready for the feta and eggs!
After 15-20 minutes, remove vegetables from oven, sprinkle evenly with feta cheese, and pour egg/egg white mixture into the baking dish. Stir well.

Return to the oven and bake an additional 25 minutes at 400 degrees.

Fresh out of the oven.
Results:
I’m not usually a big fan of eating eggs at night (I thought they would taste funny with my wine), but this dish changed my mind. It was flavorful, had a great consistency, and it paired really well with the
Rosemary and Leek Roasted Potatoes I made as a side dish. (I used organic gold potatoes instead of red, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly.) This egg casserole would make a delightful brunch entrĂ©e as well. Especially if served with a crisp and refreshing New Zealand sauvignon blanc…I’m just saying.

The hubs gave this meal high marks and the leftovers reheated well in the microwave for an easy breakfast the next day. It was a big hit in our household and I hope you have similar results.


Until next time,
Ryann

No comments:

Post a Comment