Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Super-Simple Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas

Fresh & tasty Tex-Mex flavor...without all the fuss!
If you haven’t already noticed, I am completely and unabashedly OBSESSED with my Crock Pot. (Think there’s a support group for that?) I’ve been crocking away at least twice a week for the past few weeks, the recipes are turning out awesome, and I’m very excited to share them with you all.

Last week, I put up the Southwestern Crock Pot Chicken Chili and promised to post the fajita recipe ASAP. Well, the whole family got wiped out with a virus so my apologies that this took a while. But hey, all good things are worth waiting for, right?
What I love about this particular recipe is that it’s very versatile. You can spoon the meat into tortillas with all the fixings (traditional fajita style), make it a salad (low-carb!), or even use it to make nachos (great idea for the leftovers).

I saw this recipe on Pinterest and thought it looked simple and yummy (my two favorite criteria for Crock Pot dishes). I made it even easier by using a store-bought seasoning packet. Also, I only had one bell pepper in the fridge so that’s what I used. Other than that, I followed the original pretty closely. Here’s what I came up with.

Super-Simple Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas

Serves 4-6
Ingredients:
Olive oil spray
2 boneless, skinless breast fillets
1 medium yellow or white onion, sliced
1 medium bell pepper, sliced (color optional, I used yellow)
1 cup chicken stock or broth (I used organic stock from Costco)
½ packet reduced-sodium taco seasoning
1 lime, juiced or 1 tablespoon lime juice

Directions:

Lightly spray the bottom and sides of the Crock Pot with olive oil spray. (You don’t have to do this but it helps with clean up.) Place thawed chicken breasts in pot. Toss in onion and bell pepper and pour chicken stock over the top. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and lime juice. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-5 hours. (Cooking times vary depending on size of breast fillets.) About 30 minutes prior to serving, shred chicken with two forks. Chicken shreds easily when cooked through.
Results:
This is another one of those slow cooker recipes that makes your mouth water all day as the yummy aromas drift through the house. As I mentioned earlier it’s super versatile too so you can serve the meat and veggies however you want. For round one, the hubs and I opted to make salads. I used Romaine lettuce topped with the fajita mixture, a “dressing” made up of reduced fat sour cream and salsa, and a little guacamole.
The low-carb route.
We used the leftovers to make delicious chicken fajita nachos that we devoured during a Sunday football game (GO RAVENS!). I just shredded some lite cheddar cheese and added jalapeños and salsa. Nom, nom, nom!!!
You can't go wrong with nachos!
 No matter how you decide to serve them, these Super-Simple Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas are awesome. Just a handful of basic ingredients and a slow cooker and you’re ready to go. Give this dish a try and let me know if you enjoyed it as much as we did.
Until next time,
Ryann


1 comment: