Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Creamy Crock Pot Chicken and Fancy Vegetables

A simple dish that tastes fabulous and fancy!
A few weeks ago, I was talking to my friend Andrea after my latest obsession, Zumba class. We both had dinners cooking in the Crock Pots at our respective houses and we were swapping recipe ideas.

Her meal was the inspiration for the dish I’m about to share with you. I seriously forgot how yummy and easy it is to bust out the Crock Pot, take a regular old can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, toss in some chicken, add your favorite veggies, and then sprinkle the whole caboodle with a packet of dry onion soup mix. Voila! Dinner that tastes totally decadent but was so-super-simple it’s ridiculous.


I’m calling them “fancy” vegetables because I used asparagus and crimini mushrooms. But you could make this dish with just about any veggies you had on hand.
Here’s what I came up with.

Creamy Crock Pot Chicken and Fancy Vegetables

Serves 3-4


Ingredients:

Olive oil spray
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets
1 cup asparagus, chopped into ½-inch pieces
1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 (10.5-ounce) can reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
½ cup reduced-fat milk
1 packet dry onion soup mix


Directions:

Lightly spray Crock Pot with olive oil spray. Place chicken fillets in pot. Add asparagus, mushrooms, and carrots. Cover with the can of condensed soup. Pour milk over mixture. Sprinkle dry soup mix evenly over contents of the Crock Pot.

Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.
Results:
Being a wife and mommy means that sometimes you’ve gotta take one for the team. For instance, I can’t stand mushrooms (I think they taste like dirt and have the mouth-feel of rubber) but my husband likes them. So I had to step out of my comfort zone to test a recipe that called for an ingredient I don’t really care for in order to appease him—and all of you other weirdoes who like eating fungus.


Seriously though, I couldn’t even taste them in this dish. The onion soup flavor combined well with the “fancy” veggies and the creamy goodness made me forget I was eating one of my least-favorite foods. I just spooned the mixture over a little brown rice and served with a fresh spinach salad for a well-balanced meal.


Sometimes it’s fun to add ingredients to recipes that you wouldn’t normally use. You just might be surprised at how good your culinary creations turn out when you try something a little different.

Until next time,
Ryann

No comments:

Post a Comment