Thursday, November 29, 2012

Crock Pot Mexi-Mush

The easiest Crock-Pot meal...EVER!!!
I know, I know…it’s been more than two weeks since my last blog post. I could go on and on about the holidays, sick kids, work, and whatnot, but it seems everyone around me is in the same boat so I’d just be preaching to the choir.

Since this time of year is notoriously hectic, I thought I’d share one of my easiest go-to Crock Pot meals. I make it even simpler and less time consuming by using cooked rotisserie chicken. My mom turned me on to this meal right after we brought my daughter home from the hospital. It’s so simple, even the parents of newborns can handle it—and if sleep-deprived zombies can do it, so can you!


The great thing about Mexi-Mush is that you can throw just about any bean/salsa/rice/cooked meat combo in the pot and it will turn out awesome. So, if you don’t see your favorite ingredients listed below, go ahead and add them. You really can’t go wrong. (Think diced green chilis, corn, jalapeños if you like it spicy, etc.) At any rate, here’s what I usually use.


Crock Pot Mexi-Mush
Serves 6-8
Ingredients:
Olive oil spray
2½ cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed (I used rotisserie chicken)
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (16-ounce) can chili beans (I used Bush’s pinto beans in chili sauce)
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilis (don’t drain, you’ll want the juice!)
1 (16-ounce) jar salsa


Directions:
Lightly spritz Crock Pot with olive oil spray. Add chicken, rice, rinsed black beans, chili beans with sauce, tomatoes in juice, and salsa. Stir to combine. Cook on low for about 2 hours. If your Mexi-Mush gets a little dry, or if you prefer a soupier texture, you can add 1 cup of chicken broth or stock at any point during the cooking process. Since everything in this dish is already cooked, you’re really just heating it through and allowing the flavors to mingle.

Results:
Again, I can’t stress how foolproof this recipe is. Just toss the ingredients in the trusty old Crock Pot and heat them up for a couple of hours. You’re done. Had a busy day at work and don’t feel like slaving over the stove? Mexi-Mush. Marathon holiday shopping spree and dreading cooking? Mexi-Mush. In need of a little comfort food on a cold, drizzly day? You guessed it…Mexi-Mush.
It’s hearty, it’s healthy, and it tastes good. Check, check, and double-check. So, give this simple recipe a try and let me know what you think.

Until next time,
Ryann


P.S. I hosted Thanksgiving this year and made my own cranberry sauce for the first time ever. (I still can’t believe how simple it was!) That little endeavor has inspired me to work on more easy, healthy, and tasty holiday recipes. My goal is to post several of them over the month of December so you can share these dishes with your friends and family over the season. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment