Monday, May 5, 2014

Crunchy Coconut Broccoli Brown Rice Bowls

Crunchy, clean, and delicious! 

The other day I was eating a salad with garbanzo beans a.k.a. chickpeas in it and the scavengers (aka my 2- and 4-year old) came over asking for bites. They were obsessed with the chickpeas! Score! I opened another can, rinsed those bad boys, sprinkled them with a little sea salt, and let the kiddos snack away. Winning!!!

A few days later, I mixed brown rice, garbanzo beans, and peanuts in small bowls and served it to them for dinner with a little sea salt for seasoning. Again, it was a hit. Being picky toddlers, they didn’t eat everything I served them, so naturally I had a few bites. (I HATE wasting food!) It was good. Like, really good. And it got me thinking about a grown-up way of incorporating these ingredients into something the hubs and I could eat as a main meal.

My goals were to keep it clean (I’m in the middle of my second 24-Day Challenge) so the healthy eating is a must and, of course, make it delicious. This recipe also happens to be vegetarian (pretty sure it’s vegan too!) and it’s nice to have a few meatless options in the rotation.

Here’s what I came up with after scouring the Internet for inspiration.

Crunchy Coconut Broccoli Brown Rice Bowls
Serves 5-6

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon coconut oil
½ red onion, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
¾ cup unsalted peanuts, shelled and
1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut milk
1 teaspoon dried ginger
1 teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon coriander
3 cups brown rice, cooked*
Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Sriracha, other hot sauce, or red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)

*Trader Joe’s sells organic brown rice in packs of three in the freezer section. Toss them in the microwave for a few minutes and you’ve got instant steamed brown rice. They are a HUGE timesaver and I use them several times per week for convenience.  

Directions:

Heat coconut oil in a medium-to-large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.

Add onion, bell pepper, and broccoli, and sauté until veggies begin to soften, about 5 minutes.

Stir in chickpeas and peanuts and continue to cooking, about 2-3 minutes.

Pour coconut milk into a small bowl and add the dried ginger, curry powder, garlic powder, and coriander. Stir well.

Add milk and spice mixture into the skillet or wok and stir to combine.

Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a low boil, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Just prior to serving, stir in cooked brown rice.

Spoon into individual serving bowls and garnish with cilantro and hot sauce or red pepper flakes if desired.

Results:

This recipe turned out awesome. Served alone, it has a subtly sweet flavor with hints of curry and ginger and the crunch of the peanuts adds a great texture. It’s really mild making it great for kids or people who don’t like spicy foods. If you really want to dial the flavor—and the heat—up a notch, add the cilantro and Sriracha (or red pepper flakes if you’re on the challenge, as most hot sauces contain a lot of sodium).  

The hubs and I really enjoyed this dish and it will be making the rounds again soon. I want to see if the kids will eat it too—sans the hot sauce, of course. I’ll report back on that one soon.

Until next time,
Ryann

P.S. For more information on AdvoCare or the 24-Day Challenge, please visit Advo949.com. You can also email me anytime at Advo949@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment